The Fellsmere marker inscription reads: Fellsmere is a dramatic account of floods, land "Booms" and land "Busts". Named for E. Nelson Fell, Fellsmere was first incorporated in 1911, as part of St. Lucie County. The Fellsmere Farms Land Development company promoted the area's rich soils and natural resources. By 1915, Fellsmere had a railroad, an electric company, two hotels and women could vote...a first in Florida. Overwhelmed by torrential rains and the great depression, Fellsmere struggled until the sugar cane fields brought prosperity. These cane fields are gone, but the rich soils and natural resources of the marshes still remain.